Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why do we need own domain name?


Bugsnerror now has new home. Finally I got my own domain name. Ya, I registered it in $10 for a year through google's checkout. I would like thank my friend Brahm, who sponsored me. Bugsnerror has been now changed to www.geekonnet.com (geek on net). How is this name? :P

So, why I bought a new domain name? Although I was doing very well on blogspot. There are some reasons for new domain. I think these reasons are common for all bloggers.
  1. To Be Professional: To be professional blogger its essential to have your own domain name. Every domain name is unique, so you will get a permanent unique URL for your blog which will attract more users and hence the traffic of your websites or blog will increase rapidly.
  2. More ADs: You will get more sponsors for your website or blog very easily.
  3. Google Apps: If you buy domain through google checkout then you can use all google apps and 25 Gb of free webspace.
  4. Use Subdomain: You can use unlimited subdomains of your domain. Eg. I can use the subdomain like www.xyz.geekonnet.com. So you can start more websites or blogs using these subdomain. You can also sell these subdomain to your friends.
  5. Email ID: You will get new email ID. eg user@yourdomain. My new email id is ranjeet@geekonnet.com. You can create upto 25 such type of email ids like support@yourdomain.com, job@yourdomain.com etc. Upto 25 users can create their own login at your website.
Google promises that you wont loose your traffic and page rank. I think we can believe google.

PS: Dear bloggers please update my new domain www.geekonnet.com on your blogroll.

5 comments:

Kenneth October 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

I second historiophile's thoughts

Nancy Janiola October 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

I still have seen websites that has got their own domain names without PR at all so I think obtaining a pagerank still has to do with our personal effort as bloggers.

Congrats again...hope you got your new domain fixed now.TC!

Anonymous,  October 7, 2008 at 6:19 AM  

I'm on a plan to move to custom domain. I want to know more about that. How did you made the payment to Google? Should I need a Credit Card for that?
Waiting for tour reply
Shafar@in.com

Tey October 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

it's quite a challenge to change your free blog to a paid domain but it's really good for a lot of reason. You won't lose your traffic, but the page rank? I am not sure about that, unless you start working hard again for your new URL. Perhaps it will take a little time to build it up again, and to support you my friend, I have changed your new URL on my list of useful blogs.. Thanks
Ester's Recollections
Ester's Daily Thoughts
Ester's Money Journal

Post a Comment