Monday, September 8, 2008

The Longest Comment

I received this comment for my post Google Suggest on Main Search page from one of my readers. In this post I had asked a question as PS. The question was this:
what happens when a kid starts a search by typing in some letters than also happen to be the beginning letters of something dirty?
The answer which I received by this unknown, intelligent person is this:

You pose a very interesting question on your PS, one that should be given much more consideration that what has been given so far. If a child accidently stumbles upon a lurid site because of the letter or prefix of the search, and while that is on its face is not a very acceptable, what happens when that same child is doing homework late at night and is half asleep? Will it cause a post hypnotic suggestion? I believe that it may infringe upon one’s ability to have freedom of thought and can confuse someone if they are not 100% aware of what is happening. A good analogy would be a quick change artist who starts counting numbers in the middle of a cash register person making change. The same result is possible and that is a complete unconscious change of thought. While the intentions of the product seem innocent enough, its consequences could have an impact far beyond a typo and could actually change someone’s mind. What mind control? Now that's the way a conspiracy believer may look at it. As for me, I'd rather think of it as a product that may hinder, rather than help the average search user. I would eliminate it if I were google (but then again, they have poeple working for them that are a lot brighter than I am). Also, what happens when more people use it and you lose innovation of the change in which people search for products, are their seach patterns now going to reman constant for services and information? I know Google is trying to help make a better experience for the user - that's their job and if they want to keep market share and grow, they must innovate, but this may be a feature that has the opposite effect on what it is trying to achieve, a better and easier search experience. Advertisers may start writing copy around the pre indexed terms in hopes of rising organically in the search ranking and it may stifle creativity in the long run. Thank you for bringing up this topic as it has meaningful consequences that reach further than its intentions. It really seems innocuous at first, but it isn't.

This comment is 5 times larger than my post. I would like to thank AFS Personal Loans Online (I don't know his name but this is his blogger profile link) and this is his web page.

1 comments:

Tamal Anwar September 11, 2008 at 6:09 AM  

Hello Ranjeet, your blog is getting more better and better everyday. I have written an interesting article about,

10 ways for teens to make money online
http://blogkori.com/2008/09/10-ways-for-teens-to-make-money-online.html

Its worth reading and I want your help to promote it further. Will you please blog about this article and link to it? Thanks!

Post a Comment